How Weight Loss Changes Your Life
In this, ‘Brave New World’, dominated by social media we are more body conscious than ever. Paradoxically, however, obesity is on the rise and we are suffering many ill effects from weight gain. Although the main cause of weight gain is eating too much, sedentary lifestyles, medication, health conditions and low self-esteem are contributory factors. 24.8% of adults are medically obese and 61.7% are overweight or obese. The UK has the largest number of overweight citizens compared to the rest of Europe. (Source NHS UK)
Obesity and being overweight is prevalent in children, who are becoming more unhealthy than their parents and grandparents. This is a worrying concept as it will cause extra pressure on our already strained health service. Conditions that arise due to being overweight include; heart disease, strokes, musculoskeletal disorders and type two diabetes. Eventually, these conditions can lead to death or disability.
Benefits Of Weight Loss
With the knowledge of how debilitating and in some cases fatal obesity can be weight loss can only reap positive benefits.
- Health conditions will improve: As soon as you stop dropping those beastly pounds you will start to see a reduction in associated conditions. It is completely possible to eliminate Type Two Diabetes through diet alone. You will become agiler and will be able to exercise more. Life will become generally less risky and you will be healthy.
- Look Good, Feel Good: When we put on weight we can get into a vicious cycle of feeling depressed because we are fat then eating to make ourselves feel better. The pleasure lasts only seconds and the weight can linger for what seems like an eternity. Once the weight starts dropping off you will feel better about the way you look and will get whipped up into a positive spiral where you will feel much happier.
- Sleep Well: Sleeping can get interrupted when you have excess weight because the fat presses onto your airways making it difficult to breathe when you are lying down. This causes you to snore and literally wake yourself up so that you can reposition yourself to make your airways clear. Weight loss eliminates this problem and you can reap the benefits of a good night's sleep.
- Increased Sex Drive: Now if this isn’t a reason for weight loss what is? This is particularly true in men where the male hormone gets topped up while you are sleeping. Not only do you not feel so tired anymore you become a beast in the bedroom. A good workout in the gym will also improve your performance between the sheets so ditch the burgers and get sleep.
- Save Money: If you are a slave to takeaways and booze you will find that you are losing pounds (£) and gaining pounds (Lb) at the same time. As soon as you remove, ‘Charlies’s Cheeky Chicken Shop’, from your speed dial you will be quids in. Hand in your, ‘Budget Booze,’ loyalty card and you will begin to feel like Rockefeller.
Initiating Weight Loss
This is the tricky bit because it requires dedication, willpower and lifestyle changes. Here are a few ways that you can shed those pounds and look at a better you in the mirror.
- Count the calories: This can be achieved by joining a slimming group or calculating calories yourself. The NHS Choices website provides good advice on how to measure your BMI and start reducing calories. If you do have health issues you must consult your doctor before you start reducing your weight.
- Exercise More: Building muscle burns off more calories than cardiovascular exercise alone. Combine the two and you will see an improvement in your overall health and you will lose weight quicker. It is advised that you exercise for 30 minutes five times a week.
- Take Weight Loss Treatment: If you have a BMI over 30 another option is Orlistat capsules. They work by binding the fat together and eliminating it the usual way. You are advised to eat a low-fat diet otherwise the results can be rather messy and stinky.
By Parv Sagoo (March 2018)