How Can I Feel More Confident With Unwanted Facial Hair?
Unwanted facial hair or hirsutism is a very distressing condition for women. It is when the hair grows in places men normally grow it such as; face, chest, stomach, lower back, buttocks and thighs. Hirsutism is generally a long-term condition that can be controlled by various treatments.
There are a variety of causes usually involving hormones. It is possible to have unwanted facial hair for no medical reason. Women with hirsutism often suffer from low self-esteem because they no longer feel feminine.
Treatments include; bleaching, waxing, shaving, depilatory cream, laser treatment, hormone treatment and medication. All treatments require effort and do not prevent hair growth indefinitely. Often women choose the method that suits their budget and timescale.
Having unwanted facial hair is not a life-threatening condition but it could be a symptom of underlying health issues such as polycystic ovary syndrome. The greatest issue is how it affects the woman psychologically as it can lead to depression and negative thoughts.
Causes Of Unwanted Facial Hair
Hirsutism is caused by too many male hormones called androgens. Sometimes unwanted facial hair has no particular cause. Women sometimes get hairier as they get older. Medical causes for unwanted facial hair include;
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Cushing's Syndrome.
- Anabolic Steroids.
Unwanted facial hair may still remain even if the underlying cause has been treated.
The worst part of having unwanted facial hair is that it is obvious for everyone to see. Many people use a variety of methods to remove the hair while some choose to embrace their unique look. Here are the most common methods that are used to treat unwanted facial hair:-
- Shaving - many women use a razor to shave their faces in exactly the same way men do. You will probably have to shave in the evening due to the growth of stubble. Removing hair this way can cause broken skin and rashes.
- Waxing - strips of wax are applied to the problem areas and pulled off taking the unwanted hair away. Again this can cause rashes and it is probably a good idea to go to a salo so that it can be done professionally.
- Depilatory cream - you apply the cream carefully to the hair you wish to remove. The hair follicles become weakened and the hair slides away. You don’t have to do this as often as shaving but could risk an allergic reaction.
- Bleaching - this doesn’t remove the hair it just lightens it. In some cases, the unwanted hair may be disguised but not always. If the lightened hair catches the light it is still visible. There is also a danger that your skin may react badly to the bleach and cause rashes.
- Laser treatment - for a near permanent solution laser treatment may be the answer. It works by zapping the hair follicles with bursts of light. Laser treatment is very effective, particularly with dark hair. They say that it is near permanent because it doesn’t remove all of the hair and it grows back again once treatment has stopped. Laser treatment is expensive and takes a long time. Some people don’t suit this method.
- Vaniqa Cream - is applied to the unwanted facial hair and the active ingredient Eflornithine by acting on an enzyme required for hair production. It is not a hair removal cream so you may need to use your usual method of removal during treatment. The first thing you will notice is that hair will stop growing back as quickly.
How To Increase Self Confidence
As well as using a hair removal method try to promote the positive aspects of yourself. People are more likely to notice attributes that you draw their attention to such as; lovely smile, beautiful hairstyle, stunning clothes, interesting conversation, great sense of humour, caring personality if you let them.
It is important to remember that many people have conditions that cannot be seen that can lower self-esteem. In the end, we are all human beings trying to show the best side of ourselves. Unless you are faced with really cruel people everyone will probably think, ‘Oh she has got hair on her face - I hope nobody can see my spots’.
Being positive about yourself isn’t easy but remember you are beautiful to those who love you.